Lawyerpreneur Success: 8 Steps to Your Dream Business
Lawyerpreneurs, you can build your dream business and there is no better time than the present. At UpwardAction®, we teach a 10 step process to design and launch your ideal business. Let’s cover the basics.
- Release all expectations and “shoulds” from your mind. Designing your dream business starts with a clear mind and heart. Getting rid of the distractions that consciously and sub-consciously take you away from your core is the first step.
- Create a picture of how you want others to feel after an encounter with you or your work. Our emotions are what connect us to our soul and true essence. A powerful way to start thinking about building a dream business is to pay attention to the imprint you want to leave on the world. This starts with an examination of how YOU want to help others FEEL. Think back to why you went to law school. Remember, your dream business can be within or outside of the legal profession. Release yourself from all limitations.
- Make a list of your strengths and passions. At the core, dream businesses allow us to play to our strengths and spend the bulk of our time making an impact doing what we love. Although we cannot spend 100 percent of our time doing what we love, a properly designed business will allow us to spend the majority of our time developing our strengths and enjoying our passions.
- Develop a list of careers, industries and business opportunities that cater to your strengths and passions that also lead to the picture described in Step 2. Once you are clear about your strengths and passions, it is time to develop a list of opportunities that support them. Make this list as comprehensive as possible. Pay attention to what others are doing in the marketplace and what is missing.
- Select the three careers, industries and business opportunities from the list prepared in Step 4 that most resonate with you. Now that you have a comprehensive list, narrow it down to your top three choices.
- Perform a SWOT analysis of your top three choices. Steps 1 through 5 of this list involve being led by your heart when designing your dream business. Once you have led with your heard, it is time to analyze opportunities with a business view. Take your top three choices identified in Step 5 and perform a SWOT analysis of each opportunity. SWOT is an acronym for strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Use the result of your SWOT analysis to select the most advantageous opportunity to develop. While it is certainly possible to develop multiple business ideas, I suggest you focus on one at a time. Build a successful track record, and then expand to other opportunities.
- Create a one-page business plan. After you have selected your dream business model, invest time developing a one-page action-oriented business plan. This is an important step in guiding your activities and will serve as an important framework for evaluating future opportunities. A great part of your success as a lawyerpreneur will result from your ability to stay focused and say no to things that do not lead to your business vision.
Now that you have a general blueprint for what you need to design your dream business, it's time to take UpwardAction. We are here when you need us.